1 (612) firstname.lastname@example.org
Andrew R. Swanson joined Kinney & Lange as an associate in 2014.As an associate with Kinney & Lange, he focuses his practice on intellectual property law in both the transactional and litigation settings.Andrew primarily focuses on patents, including the drafting and prosecution of patent applications; patentability matters, including non-infringement, invalidity, and patentability; and freedom-to-operate studies and opinions.This includes both domestic and international IP application filings, strategy, and development.
Andrew has experience working with both individual inventors and multinational corporations.Andrew works to develop an understanding of each client’s goals, and he uses this understanding to assist clients in developing strategic IP protection.Andrew’s technology experience includes aerospace, gas turbine engines, process and control systems, mechanical devices, and a wide variety of other technological fields.
Andrew received his Bachelor of Science in Civil Engineering from Iowa State University and his Juris Doctor, magna cum laude, from Marquette University Law School.During law school, Andrew was an Articles Editor for the Marquette Law Review.Andrew also interned for Judge Charles N. Clevert in the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Wisconsin and for Judge Diane S. Sykes in the United States Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit.Andrew enjoys remaining active in his free time, including traveling, golf, and basketball.
- Patent Freedom to Operate Searches, Opinions, Techniques, and Studies, (ABA, 2017), co-author
- Note: "Somebody Grab the Wheel!": State Autonomous Vehicle Legislation and the Road to a National Regime, 97 Marq. L. Rev. 1085 (2014)
- Intellectual Property Law for Business Lawyers, Kinney & Lange, P.A. (annual)
- Provided advice and guidance for patent application filings, product clearance and other intellectual property activities for large and small business, and for individual inventors.
- Prepared, prosecuted, and supervised patent applications, including PCT and foreign counterparts, on a variety of technologies on behalf of multi-national corporations, smaller businesses, and individual inventors.
- Prepared analyses of third-party patents and provided opinions related to noninfringement and invalidity of those patents.
- Prepared and filed numerous lawsuits on behalf of a client to enforce its trademarks and trade dress.
- Negotiated license and settlement agreements relating to intellectual property.
- Participated in patent clearance studies for billion-dollar product lines, advised client regarding risk management and patent avoidance strategies, and prepared associated opinions of counsel.